We first met Taryn in Bali while we were working on a villa renovation project. The timing was perfect as our good friend and owner of Cleobella, Angela was in town checking in on production and shooting their seasonal look book. Angela asked if we would be willing to be featured on their monthly Bella blog. Of course we were honored! This gorgeous, down to earth photographer showed up to shoot us. She was a bit soft spoken at first and got right to business. We’re not used to being photographed so were acting silly and awkwardly trying our best as Taryn began to work her magic. She effortlessly handled the camera and with few words she directed us in a way that we had no idea our photos were being taken.
We discovered she too lived in Encinitas (Our home town and where sister Susanna resides). This was love at first sight for us and since then we have been following her and her work. Little did we know she was not only an unbelievable photographer but traveling the world and capturing all of it’s beauty, one photo at a time. It is our pleasure to introduce to you, our current crush: Taryn Kent
What inspires you? Where do you draw your inspiration from?
- It’s a combo of things… people, music, travel, fashion, nature, my friends… but I’d say traveling inspires me the most!
In a few sentences how would you describe your style?
- Laid back, simple, effortless, a little bit of boho with an edge. I like to be comfortable & current, but also not think to much about it. 😉
What does good photography mean to you?
- Good photography makes you feel something…
When and how did you first find your passion for the photography world?
- I started shooting when I was young… both my parents took photos all the time so I learned from them & began documenting my life in junior high. It wasn’t until I started traveling after college that the interest sparked further and it quickly snowballed into a career.
What do you love most about your career/passion?
- The people and places my camera has lead me to… every day is different!
What is your dream photography job/client?
- Um… I mean shooting & traveling for Cleobella has been pretty close to a dream job to me! I’d love to shoot for a big publication like Vogue or Travel+Leisure.
How do you typically start your day?
- A cup of Irish black tea & a walk with my two pups
How do you typically end your day?
- Chill time with my man… or reading
What do you love most about the city you live in?
- I love the vibe of Leucadia… everyone is happy and active. I love how simple & funky it is.
Where is your most favorite place to travel and why?
- So hard to choose… but New Zealand was one of my favorite places I’ve been and I’m dying to go back. it’s just so beautiful and untouched… and the people are some of the kindest I’ve ever met. Its my happy place for sure.
What was the best piece of advice given to you when you were first getting started?
- Dream big… you can really have whatever you want in life if you believe in it.
What’s the best piece of advice would you give to someone starting off in photography?
- Post your work… start a blog or post on social media – let people see what you’re creating. It pushes you and leads you in the right direction.
What is your favorite go to product at the moment?
- Loving my new high-pigment lip pencil from Bite Beauty (also at Sephora)
What is your astrological sign?
What are you most proud of?
- Working for myself, it’s the hardest and most rewarding job I’ve ever had.
What projects are you currently working on?
- I’m leaving next week for another trip to Bali with Cleobella, which I’m super excited about. I’ll be shooting a few things for them out there including their Holiday lookbook. I also just shot an editorial story in Mexico for an online travel magazine.
What’s next for you? What’s your future looking like?
- I have a few projects I’m working on… some collaborations I’m excited about. I’m also hoping to take a personal travel trip soon to shoot for myself.
Good design is…?