(Elaina) I first met Molly while studying at UC Berkeley. She was studying architecture and at first site I remember thinking she was so pretty with her rosy cheeks, bright green eyes and blond bob. She had great style, she was smart and had such fun energy. I was immediately drawn to her and knew we would be good friends one day. A few years later after many outings and parties together we got to be room mates. This is when I really saw what an incredible artist she was through her architectural designs. I have always admired her eye for design and aesthetic.
We’ve remained close friends over the years and I’ve watched her evolve from being a successful architect to recognizing that there was something more brewing inside her creative mind. She listened and decided to risk it all and follow her desire to design jewelry. I love this about her.
She applies her knowledge of design, materials, surface and shape to her jewelry. Her designs are fun and feminine. They’re smart and unique. I love keeping an eye on her to see what she continues to create. I encourage you to do the same. Please meet our long time crush: Molly McGrath.
What inspires you? Where do you draw your inspiration from?
- I’m inspired by surface design, be it architecture, graphics, or textiles. I draw a lot of inspiration from my travels, and from new materials and production techniques – I love figuring out how to make things.
In a few sentences how would you describe your style?
- Brightly minimal, playful, and precise.
When and how did you first find your passion for the jewelery, art, design world?
- My mom is a landscape designer, and her mom was an artist, teacher, and world traveler. They have both filled their lives with beauty and have definitely passed on their appreciation of design to me.
What do you love most about your career/passion?
- The thrill of discovering a new way of making something, sharing my work with other people, and the satisfaction of running my own business.
Who would be your dream client to design for?
How do you typically start your day?
- Coffee and getting the laser cutters running!
How do you typically end your day?
- A walk in Corona Heights Park or a run on the Wiggle, hanging out with my husband Sai.
What do you love most about the city you live in? (San Fransisco)
- I love living in the city where my Dad grew up, the natural beauty, the food …
Where is your most favorite place to travel and why?
- Hmm, tough one. Probably Morocco and Japan because they were the most foreign and visually stimulating in all regards – landscape, design, craft, culture.
What was the best piece of advice given to you when you were first getting started?
- People were so encouraging, I really remember that!
What’s the best piece of advice would you give to someone starting off in the jewelery/design business?
- Do what excites you and also what differentiates you from other designers.
What is your favorite go to product at the moment?
- I’m obsessed with dutch supertax fabrics.
What is your astrological sign?
What are you most proud of?
- My relationships with my friends and family. : )
What projects are you currently working on?
- Laser-etched leather pillow and succulent vessels
What’s next for you? What’s your future looking like?
- I really want to get into textiles – I envision spending a lot of time on that in the future!
What does good design mean to you?
- I’m not sure I could really say, it is so subjective! It is so difficult for me to sum up the types of design I like – there are so many!