We’re huge fans of the classic, chic vibe that black and white creates. It’s one of the true bonds between two colors, a love that never dies. Here are a few tips for pulling it off right.
1) This color combo works fabulously with all other colors and patterns. So, don’t be afraid to mix it up. Keep in mind that when you bring in the black and white, everything else will pop.
2) Go big and decide whether you want to throw it on the floor, the walls or the ceiling. A black and white floor, wall or ceiling is a great way to make a big statement. Our all time favorite kitchen we ever had was one with the classic black and white checkered floor. We’ll never forget that kitchen. In fact, we spent most of our time while living there in the kitchen, ha!
3) Decide on a pattern for the black and white. You can do checkered floors, an ornate ethnic pattern, walls with polka dots, ceilings with stripes and upholstery with all of the above. In other words, the options are endless and hard to get wrong.
4) Using black and white is a great way to marry the old with the new. If you have a lot of old or vintage items and you’re living in an architecturally modern space with lots of clean lines, then black and white becomes the glue that makes it all work and look amazing.
5) Don’t be afraid to layer a black and white pattern with ethnic and more colorful patterns. It always looks fresh and smart. On the contrary, sticking to a pure black and white look is never boring. Decide what suits you and just go for it!